I love taking the time to bake over the holidays. It’s nice to see the smile on my kiddos’ faces when I whip up something special. And, many holiday recipes are traditions or handed-down from family and friends adding some nostalgia to the experience.
My philosophy on baked treats is to use as many whole ingredients as possible. I also try to add-in extra nutrition where I can. In this pumpkin spice bread, I used whole grain gluten free flour for added fiber, coconut sugar for a lower glycemic index, flax seeds for healthy fats (and fiber), and coconut oil for it’s many benefits.
It’s delicious with coffee in the morning or as an afternoon snack with some almond butter.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or use can use regular cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (or you can use vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour (I use Cup-4-Cup Gluten Free Wholesome Flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each of ground nutmeg, allspice, and pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or you can use a hand-mixer), beat together the eggs, sugars, and vanilla extract (1 minute on medium speed or until well combined).
- Add in the pumpkin puree and oil and beat until combined.
- Next, add all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin pie spice, and flax seeds) and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Want more tips and tricks for having balanced, wholesome holidays?
I’m excited to share a free gift with you to help you stay organized and remind you to take steps daily toward the holiday you desire. Sign-up here to receive your copy of the Holidays in Balance calendar along with weekly emails to keep you on-track.