I love a good Thanksgiving casserole! One of my favorites is Green Bean Casserole. It’s hard to go wrong!
These days, my philosophy with holiday cooking is using as many whole food ingredients as possible. This means trying to make things from scratch and using less canned ingredients. It takes longer to do and often results in a richer dish. This is actually helpful for enjoying holiday foods in moderation because you get fuller faster and avoid added sugar and sodium in most cases. It also keeps you from overdoing it on all of the side dishes!
I’ve adapted Nancy Fuller’s Homemade Green Bean Casserole to be gluten free, and I’ve included suggestions in the recipe below to make it dairy-free and vegan, too. Enjoy!
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter (you can also use a dairy-free or vegan alternative)
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken bone broth (substitute vegetable broth for a vegan version)
- 1 cup half-and-half (use coconut milk for a dairy-free, vegan version)
- 1 can gluten free fried onions (I don’t make these from scratch)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, season with 1 tsp salt, and blanch the green beans for 5 minutes.
- Shock the green beans in a bowl filled with ice water, then remove and set aside to dry.
- Melt the butter in a large cast-iron pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and some salt and pepper. Cook until just softened.
- Add the flour and stir to coat the mushrooms and shallots.
- Add the bone broth, whisking vigorously to smooth out any lumps. Whisk in the half-and-half. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and adjust with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the green beans, then pour the mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top and friend onions. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes, then remove and serve!